Corporate news 7.5.2021 7:30

STA director announces legal action against prime minister

Ljubljana, 7 May - Bojan Veselinovič, the director of the Slovenian Press Agency (STA), has announced legal action against Prime Minister Janez Janša after he implied on Twitter that Veselinovič had been involved in the "murder" of a former STA editor-in-chief more than a decade ago.

Brdo pri Kranju
PM Janez Janša.
Photo: Tamino Petelinšek/STA
File photo

What Janša wrote exceeds all boundaries, Veselinovič told the TV Slovenija current affairs show Tarča Thursday evening.

The decision comes after Janša wrote on Twitter today: "Incredible for 21st century EU that an accomplice in the murder of a journalist still leads the STA and gets EUR 8,500 per month. More than the president of the republic."

Veselinovič said he would press criminal charges as a private plaintiff and a civil defamation suit.

He also sent a cease and desist letter to Uroš Urbanija, the director of the Government Communication Office, who has alleged in several tweets that Veselinovič had taken it out on Borut Meško.

Today, Urbanija tweeted that Veselinovič had sent Meško a termination letter "while he was on his death bed" after "a brutal settling of scores and long-time bullying".

Meško had been the editor-in-chief of the STA in 2007-2007 and was handed a termination notice on 3 November 2009 due to his failure to draw up strategic plans despite a prior warning. He died the following year.

Veselinovič has often come under fire from conservative journalists for firing Meško just before his death, a financial settlement with Meško's family having been used as proof of wrongful termination.

But Veselinovič has insisted he had not known about Meško's illness, a point raised in the cease and desist letter sent to Urbanija today.

The law firm representing Veselinovič said he had not been informed about the illness until May 2010, when he received a letter from Meško's legal representative.

And this letter came with medical documentation that Meško's terminal illness had not been diagnosed until December 2009, a month after he was fired.

This means "it would have been impossible for our client to carry out any of the acts that you allege," said the law firm, which also dismissed all allegations about bullying.